| || |
This Glossary is Koi, Plant and all things relating to the Pond.
|A - pronounced ah, as in paw or draw ||EI - pronounced aye, as in bay, play |
| E - pronounced eh, as in spend or friend ||OI - pronounced oye, as in toy, boy |
|I - pronounced ee, as in bee, he, tree ||OA - pronounced oh ah, as in boa |
|O- pronounced oh, as in tow, oak ||OO - pronounced oo, as in who, boo |
|U - pronounced uu, as in moo, who ||UI - pronounced wee, as in tree, bee |
|R - sometimes pronounced like the letter "d" ||JI - pronounced gee, as in bungi |
| AI - pronounced eye, as in pie, fly ||JY - pronounced jah, as in draw, jaw |
|AO - pronounced ah oh ||RYU - pronounced droo, as in Andrew |
|E.R.M. ||Abbreviation for Enteric Red Mouth.|
|Edema ||A build up of fluids within tissues, cells, or body cavities (ascites is a build up of fluid primarily in the body cavity).|
|Eco-System ||A biological community and the physical environment associated with it. An eco-system can refer to a very specific area, such as a small stretch of a stream, or a very large area such as an ocean. In all eco-systems, the nutrients and energy moves around the system in loops or cycles. Sometimes these loops and cycles are simple, involving only a few species which impact on each other, but more often a complete eco-system is very complex involving many hundreds or even thousands of species (such as in some coral reefs). In such systems, very small changes can have very large impacts. Often eco-systems can seem very basic, but if one tries to recreate an ecosystem artificially, it's complexities are soon apparent.|
|Ectoparasite ||A parasite that affects the external surfaces (including external surfaces of the gills) of an organism.|
|Ectothermic ||Literally means ‘heat from outside’ and describes the fact that fish cannot control or regulate their body temperature. In older textbooks, the inability to control or regulate temperature was termed "poikilothermic".|
|EFA ||Essential Fatty Acids. These are required in the diets of fish mainly to maintain the structure and integrity of the phospholipid cell membranes. If there is a deficiency, the cell membrane weakens which can lead to a reduced resistance to disease, problems with osmoregulation and a weakening of the red blood cells.|
|Egatacho (eh' gah tah choh)||Book of Nishikigoi patterns that were hand drawn before cameras were invented.|
|Egtved Disease ||Another name for Viral Haemorrhagic Septicaemia. Sometimes called "Egtved" after the region in Denmark where the disease was first discovered.|
|ELISA ||Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay; a lab method used to detect the presence of antibody to a virus.|
|Embolism ||Obstruction or occlusion of a blood vessel by a detached thrombus, air or foreign body.|
|Endocrine ||Gland that secretes directly into the bloodstream.|
|Endoparasite ||A parasite that affects the internal organs and / or tissues of the body.|
|Enteric Red Mouth ||(E.R.M.) A systemic bacterial disease. Primarily associated with salmonids. Caused by the bacteria Yersinia ruckerii. Symptoms usually include loss of appetite, usual effects of systemic bacterial diseases on internal organs (pale liver, enlarged spleen), characteristic pink / red tongue (caused by many small haemorrhages) and pinpoint(petechial) haemorrhaging of the belly. Vaccines available in many countries, responds well to antibiotics unless resistant strains have formed.|
|Environmental gill disease ||The excessive growth of mucus on the gills caused by an environmental factor such as a chemicals or particles in the water (as opposed to a pathogenic factor - see bacterial gill disease). The build up of mucus can lead to suffocation of the fish, resulting in the need to exert more energy to meet it's oxygen requirements. The stress caused by these additional exertions can make the fish more susceptible to pathogens. Often results in infection of the gills (bacterial gill disease). Once the irritant is removed, the excessive mucus can be removed with quaternary ammonium compounds. These treatments are often followed by Chloramine treatments to kill off any bacteria that has become established on the gills. The mucus must be removed first, or the Chloramine will often not reach the bacteria, leading to a short term recovery followed by rapid re-infection|
|Enyu ||A doitsu koi with a white body and red markings whose mirror scales are platinum; pale blue speckles may be interspersed within the red and white color of the dorsal surface |
|Enzyme ||Organic catalyst produced by living cells but capable of acting independently. They are complex proteins that induce chemical changes in other substances without being changed themselves. They are reaction-specific acting in just one way and can accelerate the speed of a chemical reaction.|
|Epidermis ||The outer layer of skin.|
|Epistylis ||A ciliate protozoan which is not visible to the naked eye. Epistylis also called Heteropolaria, belongs to the order Peritrichida, a group of ciliated vase-shaped protozoans.|
|Epithelium ||Layer of cells forming the epidermis of the skin and the surface layer of mucous and serous membranes. The cells rest on a basement membrane and lie in close approximity to each other with little intercellular material.They may be flat (squamous), cubed (cuboidal) or cylindrical (columnar). It serves to protect and lubricate.|
|Epizootic ||Any infectuous disease that attacks many animals in the same geographical area in a short period of time.|
|Erythema ||Abnormal redness of skin.|
|Etsu No Hisoku ||A scaleless (doitsu) koi with a yellow-green coloration.|
|Exocrine ||Glands whose secretions reach an epithelial surface either directly or through a duct.|
|External pump ||An external pump is not designed to run under water, and requires air circulation for cooling.|
|Exudate ||Substances which penetrate through vessel walls into adjoining tissue or into a cavity producing pus or serum. There are more cells, protein, lactic dehydrogen and solid material than in a transudate.|
Table of Contents
- Standard Grade Koi
- Koi Sales Fish For Sale The Koi Pond Guide is an authorized Dealer for Blue Ridge Koi. We have a Huge Selection of Koi, including, Butterfly Koi, Premium Select Koi and Standard Koi for sale, at several sizes to choose from.
- Butterfly Koi Fish for Sale The Koi Pond Guide is a Blue Ridge Fish Dealer. We carry Blue Ridge Koi!!
- Butterfly Koi Fish for Sale The Koi Pond Guide has Premium Koi, Standard Koi and Butterfly Koi for Sale. We carry Blue Ridge Koi! Pond Fish for Sale. Buy Butterfly Koi Fish for Ponds. We are an Authorized Blue Ridge Koi Dealer.
- Stay Up To Date on Koi Pond Guide With the Build a Fish Pond Blog
- The build a fish pond blog keeps you up-to-date on the additions and changes of Koi-pond-guide.com Web Site Subscribe here
- A really outstanding Kohaku is rarely seen because most will fall short on one point of detail.
- Kohaku is The very cult of the Japanese Koi Fish and is derived from the Japanese love of the Kohaku Variety.
- Pond stocking NPS (New Pond Syndrome).
- Pond Stocking To Avoid Casualties. Stocking Your Fish Ponds is the Most Important Part of Fish and Pond Keeping.
- Email Course
- Koi Diseases, Fish Disease Symptoms, Fish Disease Identification
- Koi Diseases, How can you tell if you have a sick fish? Pictures of Fish Disease for Identification along with Fish Meds.
- Koi Pond Supplies To Keep Your Water Clean, Clear, and Healthy for Your Koi and Pond Fish.
- Koi Pond Supplies Will Help Control Algae in Your Pond and Keep Your Pond Clean and Water Clear. In order to keep Koi in your garden ponds you have to maintain stable and optimal water conditions and we have the products to help you maintain the BEST water conditions for your Koi or Pond Fish.
- Article Library Database of Koi & Fish Pond Articles
- Koi & Fish Pond Article Library Database. This is your Fish and Koi Wellness Center as Well as the Pond and Water Garden How To Center. A Complete Listing Of All The Koi and Fish Pond Articles On This Website.
- Koi Health & Wellness Center, Koi Care, Care for Fish Diseases Fish Anatomy Pictures and The Immune System of Koi.
- Koi Health & Wellness Center Fish Medicine for Sick Fish. If your Koi or Goldfish Become Sick Try One Of These Treatments for A Fast Remedy.
- Argulus (Fish Lice) adhere to the flesh by means of sucker-type discs.
- Argulus (Fish Lice) Despite their name fish lice are not true lice, but rather a type of crustacean.
- Aqua Ultraviolet Systems, UV Sterilizer, Clarifier to Kill Algae, Clears Bacteria and Parasites in Pond Water
- Aqua Ultraviolet Systems Along with a Koi Pond Filter will be Your Magic Solution to Crystal Clear Water. The Benefits are: Pond Cleaning will be improved and Koi Pond Maintenance will be Reduced.
- Ammonia in Ponds is Deadly for Koi and Pond Fish. What is Aeromonas Alley?
- Ammonia in Ponds tends to block oxygen transfer from the gills to the blood and can cause both immediate and long term gill damage.
- 160 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet Sterilizer, Bacteria and Parasites in Pond Water
- 160 Watt Aqua Ultraviolet Sterilizer , Along with a Koi Pond Filter will be Your Magic Solution to Crystal Clear Water. The Benefits are: Pond Cleaning will be improved and Koi Pond Maintenance will be Reduced.
- Aqua Ultraviolet Replacement Parts
- Aqua Ultraviolet Replacement Parts
- Pond Pump
- Pond Pump
- Dechlorinator and Pond Bacteria needs to be used to remove the chemicals the water department has added.
- Dechlorinator and Pond Bacteria The ideal place to add dechlorinators is to your Waterfall, because good and rapid mixing will occur there.
- Pond Keeper Premium Activated Carbon is a blend of two forms of specially processed bituminous carbon with millions of macro and micropore structures in one package.
- Pond Keeper Premium Activated Carbon is fast acting.
- Pseudomonas Aeromonas Bacteria, are the most common bacteria present in your pond.
- Do I have a female or male Koi? This article will help you determine if you have a feamle or male Koi.
- Sexing Koi can be full of surprises. Having given birth to a new generation, they would as willingly eat the baby Koi as see it grow up.
- Aeration Pumps for your Koi Pond or Water Garden.
- Aeration Pumps Pondmaster Air Pumps. The most important part of koi pond care is your water quality.
- Contribute to Build A Koi Pond
- Would you like to share your knowledge about build a koi pond? Great, find out how you can submit your story or tip here.